Lower School Art Teacher
Founded in San Francisco in 2010, Alta Vista School implements an inquiry-based STEAM program serving approximately 300 students across two campuses.
Alta Vista School encourages students to go beyond a strong academic foundation to pursue their passions with the help of our community. Faculty, administrators, and families believe experiences and hands-on activities are the best practice for meaningful learning. Alta Vista educators benefit from small class sizes and are intentional in their instruction. Teachers serve as guides for students as they explore, observe, predict, measure, and analyze for themselves in an inquiry-based journey of discovery and knowledge-making. Likewise, AVS teachers are serious about play. We love learning alongside our students, believing that children learn better in joyous, authentic settings. Most important to the AVS approach is a foundation rooted in the scientific method and a belief that science and technology, guided by the arts, can be leveraged to benefit all. At AVS, students learn to embrace technology and to apply principles of design-thinking as powerful tools for innovation. Technology is thoughtfully integrated into each classroom.
Alta Vista Lower School is seeking a dynamic Art teacher. The team is looking for an experienced, energetic individual with a passion for creating safe and positive environments for students from, integrating and modeling social and emotional learning (SEL). The teacher should be able to promote a calm and responsive environment. Strong communication skills and professional ethics are essential. Additional responsibilities include supporting the after school program and overseeing recess play in grades JK-5 at the Alta Vista School campus.
Traits and requirements
- Develop high-quality, innovative curriculum aligned with the mission of Alta Vista School.
- Develop, organize, and implement lesson plans and instructional materials.
- Co-design and maintain an engaging and structured environment.
- Work cooperatively and collegially with the school’s administration, the faculty and staff, and the parents to create and maintain an exemplary school environment.
- Prepare for and actively participate in all school activities, faculty meetings, and conferences, including those with parents, during and after school hours as may be necessary.
- Cultivate collaboration, transparency, inclusion, curiosity, fun, innovation, and excellence in a dynamic learning community.
- Partners with classroom educators to find moments for art content to align with academic curricula.
- Facilitation of 2 after school classes per week.
- In-depth knowledge of elementary art curricula and best teaching practices.
- Willingness to examine your own teaching with a critical eye in order to continuously improve one’s practice and take advantage of all opportunities to grow as a teacher.
- As this is an in-person position, candidates must be up-to-date on vaccinations for Covid-19.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience teaching at elementary level
- $75,000 - $100,000, based on experience
How to apply
If interested, please send a resume and cover letter, detailing your educational philosophy and why you believe you would be a good fit at Alta Vista, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Statement on nondiscrimination
We are committed to being a safe and welcoming place for all families, students, and faculty. Our school does not discriminate against employees on the basis of race, color, religious creed, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, or disability.