After-school Staff, Lower School (part-time)
Founded in San Francisco in 2010, Alta Vista School implements an inquiry-based STEAM program serving approximately 300 students across two campuses.
Alta Vista School encourages students to go beyond a strong academic foundation to pursue their passions with the help of our community. Faculty, administrators, and families believe experiences and hands-on activities are the best practice for meaningful learning. AVS educators benefit from small class sizes and are intentional in their instruction. Teachers serve as guides for students as they explore, observe, predict, measure, and analyze for themselves in an inquiry-based journey of discovery and knowledge-making. Likewise, AVS teachers are serious about play. We love learning alongside our students, believing that children learn better in joyous, authentic settings. Most important to the AVS approach is a foundation rooted in the scientific method and a belief that science and technology, guided by the arts, can be leveraged to benefit all. At AVS, students learn to embrace technology and to apply principles of design-thinking as powerful tools for innovation. Technology is thoughtfully integrated into each classroom.
For more information about Alta Vista School, please visit our website: www.altavistaschool.org.
The after-school program, known as BookEnds, is open to Alta Vista School students, grades JK - 5th, from 3:45 until 6:00 p.m. We seek to create a safe and fun space where the students can spend their afternoons engaged in free play, social growth, academic learning, and enrichment opportunities.
Alta Vista School is seeking a dynamic BookEnds staff member to supervise and engage students for the 2022–23 school year. The team is looking for an experienced, energetic individual with a passion for creating a safe and positive environment for students from 3:00–6:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. The team member should be able to present a calm and responsive demeanor and help students work through behavior management and conflicts with peers. Punctuality, flexibility, strong communication skills and professional ethics are essential.
Compensation: $25 per hour, part time
Hours: 17.5 hours per week, excludes holidays, special events, and breaks
Traits and requirements
- Maintain a positive learning environment
- Supervise and communicate in a supportive manner with JK-5 children
- Ability to analyze situations, and adopt an effective course of action
- Assist with the support of student behavior in accordance with Alta Vista School community agreements
- Communicating with classroom teachers and school administration about child behavior incidents
- Communicate policies and procedures with parents/guardians as well as communicating with parents/guardians about child behavior incidents
- Maintain effective work relationships with other team members
- Follow the practices, rules, and regulations of the Alta Vista School community
- Overseeing and implementing successful transitions for students during and from dismissal, recess, snack, and enrichment programs at Alta Vista School.
- Meet the physical requirements to safely and effectively perform duties
- Organize, supervise, and instruct students in a variety of activities
- Securing building and following safety procedures.
- Maintain the confidentiality of school related information regarding children and staff
- 2-3 years of experience working with diverse groups of elementary age children, ideally in an after school, camp or classroom setting
- High school graduate or equivalent
- Energetic, creative, and responsible
- Self-motivated team player
- Sincere interest in working with children
- Appropriate methods and techniques in motivating and emotionally supporting children
- Adaptable and organized
- Competent in Google Workspace and use of technology for communications
- Record keeping, simple arithmetic, and good written communication skills.
- Can safely prepare/serve/clean up snacks for students.
- Ability to adhere to guidelines and recommendations from the CDC, CDPH, and SFHD
- Must complete a background check
- As this is an in-person position, candidates must be up-to-date on vaccinations for COVID-19.
How to apply
If interested, please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, along with a list of two or three professional references.
Statement on nondiscrimination
We are committed to being a safe and welcoming place for all families, students, and faculty. Our school does not discriminate against employees on the basis of race, color, religious creed, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, or disability.