Advancement Services Associate
Founded in San Francisco in 2010, Alta Vista School implements an inquiry-based STEAM program serving approximately 300 students across two campuses.
Alta Vista School encourages students to go beyond a strong academic foundation to pursue their passions with the help of our community. Faculty, administrators, and families believe experiences and hands-on activities are the best practice for meaningful learning. AVS educators benefit from small class sizes and are intentional in their instruction. Teachers serve as guides for students as they explore, observe, predict, measure, and analyze for themselves in an inquiry-based journey of discovery and knowledge-making. Likewise, AVS teachers are serious about play. We love learning alongside our students, believing that children learn better in joyous, authentic settings. Most important to the AVS approach is a foundation rooted in the scientific method and a belief that science and technology, guided by the arts, can be leveraged to benefit all. At AVS, students learn to embrace technology and to apply principles of design-thinking as powerful tools for innovation. Technology is thoughtfully integrated into each classroom.
For more information about Alta Vista School, please visit our website: www.altavistaschool.org.
Under the supervision of the Director of Advancement, the Advancement Services Associate will support the execution of Alta Vista School's fundraising, development, marketing, and communications efforts during a very exciting time for the school. The Advancement Services Associate will work with colleagues across all areas of the school to support AVS's mission and vision, to enable curricular and program innovation and growth, to ensure effective engagement with the school’s various constituencies and our greater community, and to accurately and enthusiastically celebrate the generosity of volunteers, donors, and other stakeholders. This role is open immediately; open to candidates who can begin work between now and July 2022.
Standard school hours are between the hours of 7:45 a.m. and 4:15 p.m., though occasional nonstandard hours are required for this role. Alta Vista School offers competitive compensation based on prior experience and position requirements. This role is full-time and non-exempt. Comprehensive benefits are provided, including platinum health care plans and retirement contribution matching.
- Maintain the school’s donor information database with accuracy and integrity, including but not limited to entering and acknowledging gifts in a timely manner, maintaining accurate constituent contact information, entering prospect and moves-management notes, and pulling reports from the database as needed.
- Communicate professionally with donors around the technical execution of their gifts by processing pledge reminders, sending tax letters and other documentation, and following up on required paperwork.
- Collaborate with the Business Office to reconcile pledges and gifts monthly.
- Support Advancement events by assisting in the creation and distribution of invitations and reminders, managing RSVPs, and working with colleagues and vendors on planning and executing facilities and technology needs and other day-of logistics.
- Support on-campus events by managing the school’s events calendar in collaboration with the Admission Office and coordinating event work orders with the Facilities and Technology Teams.
- Execute mailings – including fundraising appeals, brochures, specialty publications, and other collateral – by assisting with creation, editing, printing, data collation, and assembly.
- Assist in the production of print and digital school communications, including making website updates and producing content for social media posts, the weekly parent newsletter, and the school blog.
- Provide wide-ranging, multifaceted administrative support, including assistance with meeting preparation and other office-management and project-management tasks.
Key attributes and qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in a related field.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills; ability to project a friendly, professional, and constituent-centered demeanor at all times.
- Some hands-on database experience (and enthusiasm) required; knowledge of Veracross a plus but not a must.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented, with the ability to effectively manage deadlines and multiple tasks. Significant project-management experience a plus.
- Working knowledge of Google’s G Suite and Microsoft Office products required; working knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud products a plus.
- Familiarity with social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn) a must; experience with HTML, CSS, or web publishing platforms a plus.
- Experience with or interest in independent schools and Bay Area philanthropy.
- Track record of confidentiality and discretion.
- Strong interpersonal and intrapersonal skills. Must be an active listener and open-minded collaborator.
- Must possess a growth mindset and a nimble and flexible attitude
- Availability for occasional evening and weekend work.
How to apply
For immediate consideration, please send a single PDF document including cover letter, resume, and three-to-five references to Mary-Ellen Lavigne, Director of Advancement, at email@example.com. Please list Advancement Services Associate in your subject line. No phone calls, please.
Statement on nondiscrimination
We are committed to being a safe and welcoming place for all families, students, and faculty. Our school does not discriminate against employees on the basis of race, color, religious creed, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, or disability.