Dan Weintraub arrives from the East Coast, backpack and guitar in hand. Dan’s most recent adventures in education found him running a dorm of international students on Beacon Street in downtown Boston and working with families as part of his educational consultancy. Prior to this, Dan worked in both independent and public schools for three decades as a K-12 teacher, a soccer and basketball coach, and a senior school administrator.
Dan is happiest in the classroom, though his interests stretch beyond the walls and halls as well. Among his claims to fame include the following:
- Touring the country as a singer-songwriter and even warming up for Tracy Chapman on the Boston folk scene (twice in the 1980s in actuality)
- Chasing severe thunderstorms and tornadoes on the Great Plains and teaching severe storms climatology to college students
- Coaching soccer in Denmark
- Helping plan and carry out non-violent anti-Apartheid and pro-Democracy protests that ended with Abbie Hoffman sleeping on his couch for a stretch
- Writing/arranging/recording 1000 songs in 1000 days
All of the aforementioned notwithstanding, Dan’s true home – his sweet spot – remains the classroom. Dan is the beamingly proud dad of Hannah (20) and Eli (19), both of whom will flop on his couch from time to time during the upcoming years. Dan is super excited to join the Alta Vista School community!