AVS at a glance
(science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics)
dollars received in charitable giving in 2021-2022 (so far)
A rich STEAM program with a strong emphasis on art, music, garden and sustainability, and physical education. Collaboration, creativity, and risk-taking are a central part of the program.
Drawn from California State Standards, Common Core, Next Generation Science, National Council of Social Studies Teachers, and National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, and RULER (Yale Center for Emotional Intelligence).
SMART Boards, document cameras, video cameras, Google Chromebooks (2nd grade and up), iPads from Junior Kindergarten - first grade during distance learning.
Lower School has two lead teachers per class, plus specialists. The student-teacher ratio for Junior Kindergarten is 7:1; average K–5th is 9:1. Middle School has up to 40 students per grade, with 10-18 students in each academic class.
Community and Special Engagements
- Science fairs, expos, and current event presentations begin in Junior Kindergarten to encourage public speaking skills at an early age.
- Drama and musical performances twice per year
- Lower School community meetings twice a week with STEAM demonstrations on Mondays and Social-Emotional Learning on Fridays (optional parent participation).
- Lower School sports are parent-organized and typically include basketball and soccer.
- Middle School sports programs are led by professional coach/athletics director and include basketball, futsol, and volleyball.
- Address: 450 Somerset Street, San Francisco
- Hours: 8:25 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- After-school care: BookEnds program until 5:00 p.m. (separate cost from tuition)
- Special features: Spacious outdoor play area with rock climbing wall, garden and tinkering room.
- Address: 2558 Mission Street, San Francisco
- Hours: 8:45 a.m. – 3:45 p.m.
- After-school clubs: 4:00–5:00 p.m. (included in tuition)
- Special features: Student-designed commons area, 1200 sq. ft. sunlit art and engineering lab, indoor gym with a mini basketball and volleyball court, black box theater, theater-tech room, and music and practice room.